1, 17. 2006
The cement industry organizations
Japan Cement Association
Established in 1948 with an aim at contributing to the development of the Japanese industries through production, marketing and consumption of various cement. There are 18 members participating in the organization as of April 2005.
- Taiheiyo Cement
- Largest cement manufacturer in Japan with around 40% market share. Merged Chichibu Cement in October 1994 and Nihon Cement in October 1998. Most successful in overseas operations in industry.,
- Ube-Mitsubishi Cement
- Second largest in industry. Born out of the integration of sales networks and distribution facilities of Mitsubishi Material and Ube Industries. The main business is sales of cement, ready-mixed concrete and others.
http://www.umcc.co.jp/(Website in English is under construction)
- Sumitomo Osaka Cement
- Established through the merger between Sumitomo Cement and Osaka Cement in October 1994. Has third largest market share in domestic sales. Has the tie-up with Ube-Mitsubishi Cement in cement distribution.
- Semi-major general chemicals manufacturer. Has forth-largest market share in the cement industry. Started as producer of soda ash and caustic soda. Business diversified into cement, construction materials and others.
- Lafarge Aso Cement
- Aso Cement formed the tie-up with Lafarge of France in September 2001 and the company name has been changed into Lafarge Aso Cement. Lafarge is the world leader in building materials with the cement No.1 in the world.
The competent authorities
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport
- Responsible for implementing national land planning, urban & regional policy, rivers, roads, housing and transportation policies. It is also responsible for promoting the progress of meteorological tasks and maintaining of marine safety and security.
Other related organizations
- Japan Concrete Institute (JCI)
- As the parent body for promoting research concerning concrete, has the purpose of carrying out investigation and research on concrete and various materials and equipment related concrete.
- Architectural Institute of Japan (AIJ)
- Founded in 1886, AIJ has promoted the advancement and development of science, technology and art concerning architecture, with the mutual collaboration of its members.
Related Stories in J-CAST News