2, 15. 2006
- Asahi Glass
- Largest comprehensive glass manufacturer in Japan and top-ranked in field of flat glass, CRTs and automobile glass. Market share of the flat glass is 24%, No. 1 in the world. Market share of glass substrate for plasma display panels (PDP) is 90%, world’s top.
- Nippon Sheet Glass
- Second largest flat glass manufacturer in Japan. Member of Sumitomo group. Architectural glass and building materials are main products. Affiliated with Pilkington Plc., the world’s second largest glass manufacturer in October 2001.
- Central Glass
- Third largest sheet glass manufacturer in Japan. Expanded from soda-based chemicals to glass products in 1958. Putting emphasis on fine chemicals and new glass for liquid-crystal displays (LCD) and PDPs. Has business alliance with Sain-Gobanin (France).
- Nippon Electric Glass
- Top-class manufacturer of CRT galas bulbs. Market share of glass for PDPs is 10%, No. 2 in the world/. Established by current NRC corps. and later absorbed as NEC’s glass section. In 1949, separated as independent firm.
- Largest producer of optical glass and eyeglasses. Japan’s first specialty manufacturer of optical glass. Expanded its business activities into electro-optics, photonics, vision care, healthcare and crystal products.
- Nippon Yamamura Glass
- Largest producer of glass bottles. Established in 1941. Diversified its business operation into PET bottles and caps as well as new glass. Strengthening powder glass for use in PDPs.
The competent authorities
- Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry
- One of the central government offices in Japan. Newly created in January 2001 as the successor of the abolished Ministry of International Trade and Industry. Aims at strengthening private economy, smooth development of external economic relation and to secure the steady supply of mineral and energy resources.
- Fair Trade Commission
- Established as an administrative organ of the state to achieve the purpose of the Antimonopoly Act. Has the character of being an administrative organization under the council system, consisting of a Chairman and four Commissioners.
- Ministry of Environment
- Responsible for implementing strategic research and proposing policy for global environmental conservation, preventing pollution and dealing with waste and hazardous chemicals. Promoted from the government agency to the Ministry in 2001.
Related Stories in J-CAST News