3, 08. 2006
Travel industry organization
Japan Association of Travel Agencies (JATA)
Seeks to contribute to the development of the travel and tourism industries through a variety of activities including disseminating information, encouraging cooperation among members, and developing business and legal dealings. Active members: 1,251 Associate members: 812.
- Largest travel agency in Japan with 23.6% of market share in 2004. JR companies are among the main shareholders. Prime package tour brand, LOOL JTB, has been the most popular brand ever since it was launched in 1968.
- Kinki Nippon Tourist
- Second largest in industry. Member of Kinki Nippon Railway group. Well-known for “Holiday” brand overseas packaged tours. Has strength in domestic as well as overseas tour planning and management. Emphasis placed mail order sales business.
- Pioneer and ranked first in airline discount ticket business. Third largest travel agency in Japan. Has equity method-applied subsidiary Skymark Airlines. Participated into HVA business such as introduction of hotels after September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.
- Nippon Express
- Japan’s number one general transport company and one of the largest in the world. Diversifying business from express service tied up with JR freight company into international transport, home parcel delivery service and international air cargo.
The competent authorities
- Ministry of Foreign Affairs
- Takes charge of planning of basic and middle or long-term foreign policy from wider point of view. Also takes charge of protection of Japanese nationals and their property abroad In addition, it is responsible of issuing passports and other documents necessary for travel abroad, visas.
- Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport
- Responsible for implementing national land planning, urban & regional policy, rivers, roads, housing and transportation policies. It is also responsible for promoting the progress of meteorological tasks and maintaining of marine safety and security.
- Visit Japan Campaign
- Campaign invented by Ministry of Land, Infrastructure in cooperation with other ministries to lure foreign tourists to Japan.
- Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry
- One of the central government offices in Japan. Newly created in January 2001 as the successor of the abolished Ministry of International Trade and Industry. Aims at strengthening private economy, smooth development of external economic relation and to secure the steady supply of mineral and energy resources.
Other related organizations
- Overseas Tour Operators Association of Japan (OTOA)
- An overseas travel agency association which specializes in serving Japanese tourists abroad. Has 143 full member companies, and 90 associate member companies (as of June 2005). Has a network which covers 245 cities in 80 countries via a total of 811 bases.。
- Japan National Tourist Organization (JNTO)
- With its mission to promote inbound tourism, endeavors to fulfill its mission to its fullest extent, in conjunction with the Visit Japan Campaign, in an effort to reach the goal set by 6the Japanese Government, thereby Japan will welcome 10 million foreign visitors by the year 2010.
Related Stories in J-CAST News