Mobile Phone Contents
3, 29. 2006
Mobile Phone Contents Industry
Mobile Content Forum
Consists of software and content developers, device manufacturers, wireless carriers, marketers and advertisers. Enables companies outside of Japan to keep up with the latest development and exchange information the top players in the world’s number one mobile data market.
Music (Ringing melodies)
- Mainline shifted development and sales of games through Internet to contents provider for mobile phones, including ring tones. First company to elevate from TSE Mothers to TSE 1st Section.
- Engaged in distribution of mobile phones. Mainly involved in dealings with KDDI-affiliated companies. Focusing on distribution of Internet contents and expanding into China, Germany and Netherlands.
- Engaged in distribution of information for mobile phones, specializing in call-signaling ringing melodies. Diversifying into sales of goods. Expanding operations overseas.
- Spun-off of database division of Oricon, largest publisher of music hit charts. Engaged in music data sales to broadcasting companies and publishing of information magazines on new releases for record shops.
- Distributor of various contents for mobile phones and PHS. Involved in content planning and development. Also operate joint ventures overseas in Taiwan, Korea and US.
- Gigno System Japan
- Information service provider targeting mobile phone users. Involved in systems development. Subsidiary of FM Tokyo. Seeking entry into information provision sector for household electric appliance terminals.
- Engaged in distribution of contents to Internet-connected cell phones. Forming business alliance with FamilyMart, HIS and Senshukai in an attempt to support their mobile commerce.
- Involved mainly in consulting for e-commerce based on mobile phones, contents/advertisement distribution for mobile phone terminals, and sale of kiosk terminals creating mobile phone waiting screens.
- Hudson Soft
- Long-established developer of game software. First company to launch sales of PC-use game software as package. Subsequently specialized in software for TV games. Boasting broad customer base with Nintendo as main customer.
- Sammy NetWorks
- Distributor of games and ring tones for mobile phones as mainlines. Subsidiary of Sammy. Expanding into Chinese market, while expecting to diversify businesses.
- Engaged in distribution of game contents such as “Tetris” for cell phones. Aggressive in overseas operations. Boasting broad-based customer including NTT DoCoMo and KDDI.
- Bandai Networks
- Involved in contents transmission service for mobile phone users. Also engaged in mail-order sales of DVDs and toys. Expanding overseas operation in US, Europe and China.
The competent authorities
- Ministry of Internal Affairs and Communications (MIC)
- Responsible for creating the fundamental national system of Japan. These systems include the national administrative organizations, public service personnel system, information and communications postal services, and statistical systems.
- Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry
- One of the central government offices in Japan. Newly created in January 2001 as the successor of the abolished Ministry of International Trade and Industry. Aims at strengthening private economy, smooth development of external economic relation and to secure the steady supply of mineral and energy resources.
- Fair Trade Commission
- Established as an administrative organ of the state to achieve the purpose of the Antimonopoly Act. Has the character of being an administrative organization under the council system, consisting of a Chairman and four Commissioners.
- Agency for Cultural Affairs
- Under the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology. Engaged in preserving and utilizing cultural properties and protection and use of copyrights.
Related Stories in J-CAST News
Recent Stories in this category